International Symposium on the Development of Military Academies
June 1, 2017
Canadian Armed Forces
Royal Military College Saint-Jean today wrapped up the International Symposium on the Development of Military Academies (ISoDoMA) under the theme of developing general culture and a critical mind in the training of officers and non-commissioned members. The biennial event, held from 29 May to 1 June on the college campus, was open mainly to soldiers and civilians involved in the education of young officers at military academies.
“The international forum was a resounding success at every level, including the debate and discussions surrounding the various aspects that military academies should consider, such as the training and education of officer cadets. It gave representatives of participating countries, officers, and researchers an opportunity to achieve the forum’s objectives.”
- Brigadier-General Virginia Tattersall, Deputy Commander, Military Personnel Generation
“The symposium emphasized the importance of developing cultural intelligence in the education provided for our young officer cadets, and raised awareness of our various programs and initiatives among our partners, such as the Military Training and Cooperation Program, our Centre for International Studies on the Profession of Arms, and the education provided for our non-commissioned members by the Chief Warrant Officer Osside Profession of Arms Institute.”
- Colonel Simon Bernard, Commandant, Royal Military College Saint-Jean
“ISoDoMA is a South Korean initiative that gives foreign representatives from various countries a chance to discuss the development of military academies every two years. Canada’s initiative of transforming the symposium and founding the International Association of Military Academies (IAMA) presents an opportunity to institutionalize dialogue and cooperation.”
- Lieutenant-General (Ret’d) Michel Maisonneuve, Academic Director, Royal Military College Saint-Jean
- Some 20 countries took part in the event this year: Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Republic of Korea, Lebanon, Poland, Peru, Qatar, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia and the United States.
- The ISoDoMA symposiums have the following objectives:
- To set up an international system for cooperation among military academies;
- To design exchange and cooperative programs among military academies; and
- To share relevant information on the progress of military academies.
- ISoDoMA is organized jointly with the South Korean Military Academy.
- The mission of Royal Military College Saint-Jean is to educate appropriately screened members of the Canadian Armed Forces to provide them with the required competencies to uphold excellence in the profession of arms.
Naval Lieutenant Serge Tsoto
Public Affairs Officer
Royal Military College Saint-Jean
Phone: 450-358-6777 (5736)
Department of National Defence
Toll free: 1-866-377-0811
- Date modified: