Canadian Leadership for 2025
When? 13 February 2020
Where? Royal Military College Saint-Jean, Dextraze Pavilion
Registration : 20$ -- register before 12 February at https://lepointdevente.com/billets/leadersphere
Analysis and research are crucial to anticipate and better understand, respond and overcome security threats. As for leadership, it is a vital element of the organization, development and implementation of the activities of the Canadian Defence Team. Insecurity is often linked to deficiencies in governance and leadership, while security policies may suffer from the lack of serious analysis.
The Leadersphere 2020 program thus aims to contribute to debates on the challenges that the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces will face in the near future, in a context of an uncertain and fluctuating international environment. The expertise of academics and practitioners are brought forth in a format that encourages the transfer, the sharing and the co-production of knowledge.
Program – 13 February 2020
8:00 - Registration
8:30 - Introductory remarks
- Dr. Bruno Charbonneau and Dr. Chantal Lavallée, members of the organizing committee
8:40 - Commandant’s welcome speech, introduction of Keynote speaker
- Colonel Nicolas Pilon
8:50 - 9:30 - Keynote Speaker
- Mr. Claude Rochette, Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence
9:30 - 10:00 - Coffee break
10:00 - 11:30 Panel 1 - Emerging security challenges
This panel will identify and discuss the new security threats that Canada and the Defence Team are or will be facing in the 2020s. It will debate the possible solutions to a security environment where leadership is increasingly tested by new technologies and multidimensional and interconnected threats.
Moderator: Dr. Elisabeth Vallet, RMC Saint-Jean
- LCol Andre E. Salloum, Commanding Officer, Military Strategic Communication Team
- Dr. Frédérick Gagnon, Observatoire sur les conflits multidimensionnels, Chaire Raoul-Dandurand, UQAM
- Dr. Ciara Bracken-Roche, Department of Law, Maynooth University
- Dr. Christian Leuprecht, RMC Kingston
11:30-12:45 - Lunch
12:45 - 13:00 - Major-general Jennie Carignan
- Pre-recorded video address from Iraq
13:00 - 14:30 Panel 2 - Canada’s geopolitical challenges
This panel will analyse and discuss Canada's geopolitical and strategic position in a changing world. What are the options and windows of opportunity for Canada?
Moderator: Dr. Yann Breault, RMC Saint-Jean
- Mr. Jakub Urbanik, Delegation of the European Union to Canada
- Dr. Karine Prémont, Université de Sherbrooke
- Dr. Pierre Pahlavi, Canadian Forces College
- Dr. Benjamin Fung, McGill University
14:30 - 15:00 - Coffee break
15:00 -– 16:15 Roundtable 1 - Duty with Honour: the role of Canadian military colleges in military training and education
This roundtable will discuss the role of the two Canadian Military Colleges and the Canadian Forces College in the formation of Canadian military leadership and the relationships and synergies that the colleges cultivate or should cultivate. Ten years after the publication of Duty with Honor, a manual that defines the fundamental principles of leadership in the Canadian Armed Forces, what can be said about the evolution of these principles, the training of officers and the role of military colleges?
* This roundtable is organized in collaboration with the Class of 1965 in Leadership Research Chair.
Moderator: Dr. Bruno Charbonneau RMC Saint-Jean
- BGen David J. Anderson, COS, Rdns, CJOC
- Dr. Annick Girard, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. Christian Leuprecht, RMC Kingston
- Dr. Pierre Pahlavi, CFC Toronto
16:15 - 17:30 Roundtable 2 - From theory to practice: international studies at RMC Saint-Jean
This roundtable will examine the relevance of expertise in the field of international studies for the training of officer-cadets, for the Canadian Armed Forces and for Canadian defense and security policy. What can be said about and learned from the evolution of training, education and expertise in the context of RMC Saint-Jean?
Moderator: Dr. Chantal Lavallée, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. Mulry Mondélice, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. Simon Hogue, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. Marina Sharpe, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. Elisabeth Vallet, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. Yann Breault, RMC Saint-Jean
- Dr. André Simonyi, RMC Saint-Jean
17:30 - Closing remarks and acknowledgements
17:35 - 18:30 - Cocktail (by invitation only)
- Date modified: