Joining Instructions - Royal Military College Saint-Jean Officer Cadets
- Arrival Dates
- Instruction at RMC Saint-Jean
- General Information
- Addresses and Telephone Numbers
- Other Facilities
- Pay – Banking
- Clearing-in procedures at RMC Saint-Jean
- Dress and Equipment
- Physical Fitness
- Documentation Required Upon Arrival at RMC Saint-Jean
- Personal Computers and Telephones
- Annex A - Minimum Standards for the RMC Saint-Jean Physical Performance Test (PPT)
1. This document contains instructions and advice on how to prepare for the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) you will begin at Royal Military College Saint-Jean (RMC Saint-Jean) immediately following your Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. Detailed joining instructions for your BMOQ can be found at the following link:
2. When you have completed your initial CFLRS training, RMC St-Jean will organize your bus transfer from CFLRS to the College:
- Friday, August 9, 2019;
- at the mega auditorium;
- at 18h00, and
- OPI, MWO Dugas, Cadet Wing Sergeant-Major, RMC Saint-Jean.
3. Personal vehicle. If you have a personal vehicle, you will have the opportunity to follow the bus to the College. Parking will be assigned to you once at the College.
4. Upon arrival at RMC Saint-Jean, you will join a group of cadets from across Canada.
Wing staff will accompany you throughout your training.
You will leave Friday the 9th of August at 22h00 until Sunday 11th of August at 06h30.
If necessary, your parents can take you home on Friday night August 9, at the latest at 22h00.
Note: The masculine in the following text is used to represent both males and females.
5. You will travel from your recruiting center or place of residence to CFLRS where you will start your basic training.
BMOQ Mod 1 (5 weeks). From 8 July to 9 August 2019 (confirmed by the recruiting center) for candidates across Canada.
End of BMOQ and transfer of cadets from CFLRS to RMC Saint-Jean by military transport on Friday 9 August 2019.
Instruction at RMC Saint-Jean
6. First Years Orientation Program (FYOP). The FYOP will start on Sunday, August 11 at 08h00 and will end on Saturday, August 24 around 17h00.
The purpose of this program is to provide you with the basic knowledge that will allow you to progress from effective way within RMC Saint-Jean.
On August 24, 2019, as of 08h30, you are invited to attend the conduct of the obstacle course and the Badge Award Ceremony You will have leave from Saturday, August 24th at 17h00 to Sunday, August 25th at 18h00.
The school year begins on August 16 and is divided into two semesters; the first ends in December, followed by the end-of-term exams. The second semester starts on Monday 6 January 2020 and ends in April, also followed by exams. The Spring break is scheduled for March 2020.
7. RMC Saint-Jean is located on the banks of the Richelieu River some 35 km south of Montreal. You will be housed on campus with your peers during your stay.
8. The climate in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu varies with the seasons. Temperatures will range from -30C in the winter to +30C in the summer.
Addresses and Telephone Numbers
9. Here are the addresses for letters, couriers and parcels:
Couriers and parcels:
Rank, surname and given name (e.g.: Officer Cadet Jones, Harry)
Royal Military College Saint-Jean
De Léry Pavilion, wing E, room 1071
15 Jacques-Cartier N
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec J3B 8R8
Royal Military College Saint-Jean
C.P. 100, Succ Bureau-chef
Richelain, Quebec J0J 1R0
10. The phone number to reach Cadet Wing administration staff during working hours is (450) 358-6777 extension 5767 or 5772. In addition, duty staff can be reached after working hours at (514) 912-3022.
11. The following services are available at RMC Saint-Jean:
- An officer cadets’ mess, Le Saint-Maurice.
- A sports complex (arena, pool, gym, and weight room).
- A library.
- An academic complex.
- Housing facilities.
- Sports fields.
- A CANEX (a small convenience store) with a bank machine and a barber service.
12. Other military facilities are located about 4 kilometres away at the Saint-Jean Garrison. Among them are:
- A chapel (Protestant and Roman Catholic, on a shared schedule).
- A snack bar.
- A CANEX (small department store) with a dry cleaning shop.
- A barber.
- A bank branch (Caisse populaire Desjardins and a BMO bank machine).
- A library.
- A movie theatre.
- A medical clinic.
- An outdoor and an indoor pool.
- Numerous sports fields.
13. The town of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu has shopping malls, branches of major banks, drugstores, restaurants, a movie theatre (very close to RMC Saint-Jean), and several small strip malls.
Pay – Banking
14. You must have your pay deposited directly into your account at the financial institution of your choice. It is therefore essential that you bring with you a sample cheque.
Clearing-in procedures at RMC Saint-Jean
15. General. On August 09, 2019, you will move from CFLRS to RMC-Saint-Jean. Upon arrival at RMC Saint-Jean, you will be greeted by military personnel who will be responsible for guiding you through check-in. Make sure you have the documents mentioned in the next paragraph. In a few days, you will know all the facilities of RMC Saint-Jean. You must have registered online with Cégep Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. Have the following documents in hand, they may be required to complete your admission:
- Your last official transcript;
- Your degree with the mention obtained, and
- Your birth certificate or certificate of Canadian citizenship if you were born outside of Canada. If you are from a province that only provides one card as a birth certificate, it is insufficient; you must provide our staff with a paper version, mentioning the names of your parents.
- Canadian passport (if you have it).
Dress and Equipment
16. Regulations governing the dress of cadets shall be strictly observed. You must present yourself in CADPAD and / or NCD battles (you will receive the proper attire at CFLRS as well as the necessary instructions for uniforms).
17. During your stay at RMC Saint-Jean, you will generally reside in a double occupancy room (non-coed). Learning about life and teamwork is an essential part of your education. You will be responsible for the cleanliness of your area, each responsible for his room and personal equipment as well as the maintenance of common areas.
18. Your physical fitness level will also be assessed on multiple occasions throughout the year, and you will be expected to meet the Canadian Forces as well as the RMC Saint-Jean fitness standards (see annex A). It must be noted that those not meeting a minimum fitness standard will not be eligible to join any of the representative sports teams, and may even be released from the Canadian Forces.
Documentation Required Upon Arrival at RMC Saint-Jean
19. The following documents must be handed to the Officer Cadet Wing personnel upon your arrival:
- Your most recent academic transcript.
- Your diploma with the indication that you graduated.
- Your birth certificate or your Canadian citizenship certificate if you were born outside of Canada. If you are from a province that only supplies a small card as a birth certificate, this is insufficient; you must supply a paper version on which the names of your parents are located.
20. During the year, at different stages of your training, many complementary activities will be added, such as military exercises, sporting events, cultural visits, etc. These activities are an integral part of the four RMC Saint-Jean pillars, which are Academics, Sports, Bilingualism and leadership.
21. A list of sports will be presented during the FYOP. Those who desire to practice specific sports not offered at the College may submit a request in writing. Keep in mind that the Officer Cadet Wing schedule has priority over external activities.
Personal Computers and Telephones
22. You may bring your personal computer and cell phone with you. All officer cadet rooms have Internet connection.
23. CANEX, the Canadian Forces retail store, offers you the opportunity to benefit from an interest free credit plan of 12, 24 or 36 months when you buy a computer or a laptop. OCdts who are underage and wish to buy a computer with the credit plan are required to provide a Credit Authorization Form.
24. Normally, you may be granted leave during the following periods (an explanation of the Canadian Forces leave policy will be provided during the Indocrination Period):
- Labour Day weekend.
- Thanksgiving weekend.
- Christmas period (Dec. 14 to Jan. 5, 2020).
- March Break (Feb 29 to 8th March 2020).
- Easter weekend.
- Summer (depending on your training schedule and your trade).
25. It is recommended that you possess a general insurance policy against theft and damages, especially if you bring a computer or other items of value.
Annex A - Minimum Standards for the RMC Saint-Jean Physical Performance Test (PPT)
|Evaluation||Men (34 yrs and under)||Women (34 yrs and under)|
|2.4 Km Run||< 10:34||< 12:12|
|Sit-ups||35/2 min||35/2 min|
|Agility Run (seconds)||17.8||19.4|
|Long Jump (cm)||195||146|
- Date modified: