Joining Instructions - Royal Military College Saint-Jean Officer Cadets
- Arrival Dates
- Instruction at RMC Saint-Jean
- General Information
- Addresses and Telephone Numbers
- Other Facilities
- Pay – Banking
- Clearing-in procedures at RMC Saint-Jean
- Dress and Equipment
- Physical Fitness
- Documentation Required Upon Arrival at RMC Saint-Jean
- Personal Computers and Telephones
- Annex A - Minimum Standards for the RMC Saint-Jean Physical Performance Test (PPT)
1. This document contains instructions and advice on how to prepare for the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) you will begin at Royal Military College Saint-Jean (RMC Saint-Jean) immediately following your Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. Detailed joining instructions for your BMOQ can be found at the following link:
2. Upon completion of your initial training at CFLRS, you will be transferred by bus from CFLRS to RMC Saint-Jean (10 August 2018). Upon your arrival at RMC Saint-Jean, you will join a group of officer cadets from all parts of Canada. Cadet Wing staff will be at your side throughout your training.
Note: The masculine in the following text is used to represent both males and females.
You will travel from your recruiting center or place of residence to CFLRS where you will start your basic training.
BMOQ Mod 1 (5 weeks). From 2 July - 3 August 2018 or 8 July to 10 August 2018 (confirmed by the recruiting center) for candidates across Canada.
End of BMOQ and transfer of cadets from CFLRS to RMC Saint-Jean by military transport on Friday 3 August 2018 or Friday 10 August 2018.
Beginning of classes. Wednesday 22 August, 2018.
Instruction at RMC Saint-Jean
3. First year orientation program (FYOP). The FYOP will begin Saturday, 11 August 2018 and will end on Saturday 25 August 2018. The aim of this program is to provide you with the basic knowledge needed to progress efficiently at RMC Saint-Jean.
4. School Year. The academic year is divided into two semesters; the first begins Wednesday, 22 August 2018 and ends in December, and is followed by term examinations. The second semester begins Monday, 7 January 2019 and ends in April, and is also followed by term examinations. A week-long break is scheduled in March 2019.
5. RMC Saint-Jean is located on the banks of the Richelieu River some 35 km south of Montreal. You will be housed on campus with your peers during your stay.
6. The climate in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu varies with the seasons. Temperatures will range from -30C in the winter to +30C in the summer.
Addresses and Telephone Numbers
7. Here are the addresses for letters, couriers and parcels:
Couriers and parcels:
Rank, surname and given name (e.g.: Officer Cadet Jones, Harry)
Royal Military College Saint-Jean
De Léry Pavilion, wing E, room 1071
15 Jacques-Cartier N
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec J3B 8R8
Royal Military College Saint-Jean
C.P. 100, Succ Bureau-chef
Richelain, Quebec J0J 1R0
8. The phone number to reach Cadet Wing administration staff during working hours is (450) 358-6777 extension 5767 or 5772. In addition, duty staff can be reached after working hours at (514) 912-3022.
9. The following services are available at RMC Saint-Jean:
- An officer cadets’ mess, Le Saint-Maurice.
- A sports complex (arena, pool, gym, and weight room).
- A library.
- An academic complex.
- Housing facilities.
- Sports fields.
- A CANEX (a small convenience store) with a bank machine and a barber service.
10. Other military facilities are located about 4 kilometres away at the Saint-Jean Garrison. Among them are:
- A chapel (Protestant and Roman Catholic, on a shared schedule).
- A snack bar.
- A CANEX (small department store) with a dry cleaning shop.
- A barber.
- A bank branch (Caisse populaire Desjardins and a BMO bank machine).
- A library.
- A movie theatre.
- A medical clinic.
- An outdoor and an indoor pool.
- Numerous sports fields.
11. The town of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu has shopping malls, branches of major banks, drugstores, restaurants, a movie theatre (very close to RMC Saint-Jean), and several small strip malls.
Pay – Banking
12. You must have your pay deposited directly into your account at the financial institution of your choice. It is therefore essential that you bring with you a sample cheque.
Clearing-in procedures at RMC Saint-Jean
13. General. On 3 August 2018 or 10 August 2018, you will move from CFLRS to RMC-Saint-Jean. Upon your arrival, you will be greeted by the military personnel responsible for guiding you through the clearing-in procedures. Ensure you have all documentation listed in paragraph 17. Within a few days, you will be familiar with the facilities at RMC Saint-Jean.
Dress and Equipment
14. Regulations governing the dress for officer cadets will be observed scrupulously. You are required to report in combats (you will receive the appropriate dress and instruction on how to wear it at CFLRS).
15. During your stay at RMC Saint-Jean, you will normally be living two to a room (not co-ed). You will be responsible for keeping your quarters clean. Each individual is responsible for his own room and personal equipment, and for the maintenance of the common areas. Learning to live and work in a team environment constitutes an essential aspect of your training.
16. Your physical fitness level will also be assessed on multiple occasions throughout the year, and you will be expected to meet the Canadian Forces as well as the RMC Saint-Jean fitness standards (see annex A). It must be noted that those not meeting a minimum fitness standard will not be eligible to join any of the representative sports teams, and may even be released from the Canadian Forces.
Documentation Required Upon Arrival at RMC Saint-Jean
17. The following documents must be handed to the Officer Cadet Wing personnel upon your arrival:
- Your most recent academic transcript.
- Your diploma with the indication that you graduated.
- Your birth certificate or your Canadian citizenship certificate if you were born outside of Canada. If you are from a province that only supplies a small card as a birth certificate, this is insufficient; you must supply a paper version on which the names of your parents are located.
18. During the year, at different stages of your training, many complementary activities will be added, such as military exercises, sporting events, cultural visits, etc. These activities are an integral part of the four RMC Saint-Jean pillars, which are Academics, Sports, Bilingualism and leadership.
19. A list of sports will be presented during the FYOP. Those who desire to practice specific sports not offered at the College may submit a request in writing. Keep in mind that the Officer Cadet Wing schedule has priority over external activities.
Personal Computers and Telephones
20. You may bring your personal computer and cell phone with you. All officer cadet rooms have Internet connection.
21. CANEX, the Canadian Forces retail store, offers you the opportunity to benefit from an interest free credit plan of 12, 24 or 36 months when you buy a computer or a laptop. OCdts who are underage and wish to buy a computer with the credit plan are required to provide a Credit Authorization Form.
22. Normally, you may be granted leave during the following periods (an explanation of the Canadian Forces leave policy will be provided during the Indocrination Period):
- Labour Day weekend.
- Thanksgiving weekend.
- Christmas period (approximately two weeks).
- March Break (early March).
- Easter weekend.
- Summer (depending on your training schedule and your trade).
23. It is recommended that you possess a general insurance policy against theft and damages, especially if you bring a computer or other items of value.
Annex A - Minimum Standards for the RMC Saint-Jean Physical Performance Test (PPT)
|Evaluation||Men (34 yrs and under)||Women (34 yrs and under)|
|2.4 Km Run||< 10:34||< 12:12|
|Sit-ups||35/2 min||35/2 min|
|Agility Run (seconds)||17.8||19.4|
|Long Jump (cm)||195||146|
- Date modified: