Code of Conduct for Remote Study
- Substance use in class
- Online learning
At RMC Saint-Jean, remote studies can take place on campus or at the student’s home. They include synchronous courses (in real time) and asynchronous courses where the teacher and students are separated in time and space.
The dress is Dress of the day for all OCdts and NCdts from 7:50 a.m. to 17:10 p.m. on campus as well as for courses offered in distance learning.
2. Substance use
- In order to stay alert, maximize your learning and maintain professionalism, alcohol, tobacco and cannabis and other illicit substance use is prohibited during these periods whether in the classroom or remotely
- EDUNET shall be the primary form of e-mail communication for OCdts and NCdts;
- OCdts and NCdts shall check their EDUNET e-mail at least twice a day;
- OCdts and NCdts shall follow up on their emails and respond promptly;
- OCdts and NCdts shall write their emails and written correspondence in a clear, concise and courteous language (choice of words, grammar, spelling and punctuation). It is advisable to write messages in MS Word, then copy/paste them in an email or discussion forum; and
- OCdts and NCdts shall write in such a way that the reader can easily distinguish facts, opinions and theories (quote correctly and refer to sources).
4. Online learning
4.1 In preparation for classes
- OCdts and NCdts shall download the software needed for pre-course learning and test the login procedures;
- OCdts and NCdts shall attend all courses delivered live and inform teachers in advance of any absence;
- OCdts and NCdts shall choose a quiet, distraction-free and learning-friendly environment.
- OCdts and NCdts shall inform people nearby (on campus or at home) that they need not to be disturbed during classes; and
- OCdts and NCdts shall have all material required for courses immediately available.
OCdts and NCdts shall comply with the "Netiquette" code of conduct as well as the requirements of each teacher on campus and at home.
- I log in at least 10 minutes before the start of my course if the situation allows;
- I use my real name (first name, family name) to identify myself on synchronous learning platforms;
- I turn on and off my microphone and camera at the request of teachers;
- I respect the speaking mechanisms required by teachers;
- I not type in a screen or record unless I've been told to do so;
- I act as I would in a normal classroom setting, I behave professionally, I pay attention during class and avoid distractions;
- I actively participate during classroom discussions and forums;
- I contribute and make sure that all members contribute fairly during team activities;
- I use clear and courteous vocabulary in all my communications (oral and written);
- I respect the opinions and suggestions of others;
- I remain sensitive and receptive by showing appreciation for others and their contributions;
- I ensure that my actions help create a safe environment and a positive learning environment for all;
- I ask the author of a message for permission before transferring or publishing it;
- I think about the image I project since all participants can see and hear me; and
- I apply the basic rule: Would I behave this way in person with staff and peers present? If the answer is no then I will not do it online.
4.3 For work and exams
- I attend exams;
- I inform teachers well in advance of any absence from an exams;
- I follow all the instructions specified by my teachers for the exams; and
- I meet deadlines and use the formatting and document filing guidelines as required by each teacher.
- I comply with the academic integrity policy (Regulations for University Studies of RMC Saint-Jean) with respect to cheating, plagiarism or any form of violation of academic ethics; and
- I comply with the rules of personal conduct expected of an OCdt and NCdts as described in CADWINS and ORFC.
- Date modified: