Code of Conduct for Remote Study
- Consumption during classes
- Online learning
At RMC Saint-Jean, remote studies can take place on campus or at student’s homes. They include courses where the teacher and students are separated in time and space.
- The dress is the Cadpat uniform for all officer cadets from 0750 to 1710 hrs on campus even in classes at a distance. The shirt may be removed during warm weather; and
- For OCdts attending class from home, clean and tasteful civilian attire may be worn.
2. Consumption during classes
- In order to stay alert, maximize your learning and to maintain professionalism, alcohol, tobacco and cannabis use is prohibited during these periods whether in the classroom or remotely
- EDUNET shall be the primary form of e-mail communication for OCdts;
- OCdts shall check their EDUNET e-mail at least twice a day;
- OCdts shall follow up on their emails and respond promptly;
- OCdts shall write their emails and written correspondence in a clear, concise and courteous language (choice of words, grammar, spelling and punctuation). It is advisable to write messages in MS Word, then copy/paste them in an email or discussion forum; and
- OCdts shall write in such a way that the reader can easily distinguish facts, opinions and theories (quote correctly and refer to sources).
4. Online learning
4.1 In preparation for classes
- OCdts shall download the software needed for my pre-course learning and test the login procedures;
- OCdts shall be present for all courses delivered live and will advise teachers in advance for any absence;
- OCdts shall choose a quiet, distraction-free and learning-friendly environment.
- OCdts shall advise people nearby (on campus or at home) not to be a disturbance during classes; and
- OCdts shall have all material required for courses immediately available.
OCdts shall comply with the "Netiquette" code of conduct as well as the requirements of each teacher on campus and at home.
- I will log in at least 10 minutes before the start of my course if the situation allows;
- I will use my real name (first name, family name) to identify myself on synchronous learning platforms;
- I will turn on and off my microphone and camera at the request of teachers;
- I will respect the speaking mechanisms required by teachers;
- I will not type in a screen or record unless I've been told to do so;
- I will act as I would in a normal classroom setting, I will behave professionally, I will pay attention during class and avoid distractions;
- I will actively participate during classroom discussions and forums;
- I will contribute and make sure that all members contribute fairly during team activities;
- I will use clear and courteous vocabulary in all my communications (oral and written);
- I will respect the opinions and suggestions of others;
- I will remain sensitive and receptive by showing appreciation for others and their contributions;
- I will ensure that my actions help create a safe environment and a positive learning environment for all;
- I will ask the author of a message for permission before transferring or publishing it;
- I will think about the image I will project since all participants can see and hear me; and
- I will apply the basic rule: Would I behave this way in person with staff and peers present? If the answer is no then I will not do it online.
4.3 For work and exams
- I will be present for exams;
- I will advise teachers well in advance of any absence from an exams;
- I will follow all the instructions specified by my teachers for the exams; and
- I meet deadlines and use the formatting and document filing guidelines as required by each teacher.
- I will comply with the academic integrity policy (Regulations for University Studies of RMC Saint-Jean) with respect to cheating, plagiarism or any form of violation of academic ethics; and
- I will comply with the rules of personal conduct expected of an OCdt as described in CADWINS and ORFC.
- Date modified: