Aide memoire for academic integrity investigation
1. When a complaint is made or when there are reasons to believe that an incident of academic integrity has been committed, an investigation shall be conducted as soon as practical to determine whether there are sufficient grounds to implement academic sanctions.
2. Incidents of suspected academic integrity shall be investigated by a teaching member of the Department, assigned by the Dean of Studies.
3. The investigator's role is to reconstruct events that occurred at the time of the alleged infraction. The investigator shall, as a minimum, gather all readily available evidence bearing on the guilt or innocence of the individual who is the subject of the investigation. This includes identifying responsibility and identifying the specific elements of the offence.
1. The investigator will inform the student concerned of the nature of the investigation and of the specifics of the accusation. Before the interview starts, the student will be given Appendix 1 to Annex A by the investigator. The student will also have the right to see all the documents used and created during the investigation, including the final report.
2. Before being asked to provide a statement, the student concerned must be advised that the investigator is required to present findings and recommendations for potential sanction. Any statement made during the academic integrity investigation will not be subsequently used as evidence for any disciplinary action. It is to the advantage of the student to aid the investigator in establishing the facts of the incident.
3. The distinction between academic integrity sanctions and disciplinary actions will be explained to the student suspected of academic integrity violation. The student will also be informed that academic sanctions will not preclude disciplinary action (see appendix 1).
1. The investigation will be initiated upon receipt of a written Terms of Reference that will include the following: (See example Appendix 2)
- Assignment of investigator;
- Summary of the incident and allegations;
- Names of accused, accuser and known witnesses;
- Documentary evidence or location of such evidence;
- Target date for completion.
1. The investigation findings will be submitted in writing (within 7 working days of the investigator appointment, in the official language selected by the accused) and will include the following (see example at Appendix 3):
- Statement of the accusation;
- Summary of events;;
- Findings on alleged academic integrity violation;
List of Appendices
- Appendix 1. Caution - example.
- Appendix 2. Terms of Reference - example.
- Appendix 3. Investigation Report - example.
- Appendix 4. Example of an academic sanction.
- Date modified: